"I hope you will go out and let stories happen to you, and that you will work them, water them with your blood and tears and your laughter till they bloom, till you yourself burst into bloom. " ~Clarissa Pinkola Estes

Saturday, February 16, 2013

breaking the chain

The title of this blog is "Shake It Loose". I started it with the intention of allowing myself to get real. To get down and dirty with my thoughts, my words, my feelings, my healing. To shake loose all the words that are trapped inside; to shake loose all the emotions and feelings. So, I would be remiss if I didn't allow myself to shake this very quiet part of me loose.

As my friends on Facebook know, I've been a posting fiend about the One Billion Rising cause. Like so many others, I have had it with the violence and the misogyny and all the other atrocities that women in our world undergo on a daily basis. I grabbed hold of this cause with both of my hands, my heart, my dancing body, and I let it fly like the wind. But here is why... the 'why' that only a few know. If I am going to ask others to break the silence, then I can only ask the same of myself. And here it is:

I get the message of One Billion Rising, because I am "one of the three".  I am the one to break the chain in my family. As a child, I was sexually abused by my brother... who was sexually abused by my birth mother (whom I haven't seen since the age of 7)... who was sexually abused by her father. And who knows if the chain goes even further back from there? It matters, but it doesn't. What matters, to me, is that it STOPS with me. And what also matters is that I do anything and everything possible to take a stand to help it end for even just one more woman.

My wish is that girls and women everywhere know their worth. Their beauty. Their depth. That they know respect, nurturing, safety, and support. That they know their body is theirs, and theirs alone. That they know equality, and love. That they know they have something wonderful to give the world, and that the world will give them something in kind. That they know they matterTheir voice matters; their heart matters.

Because, here's the deal:  I finally have an inkling that I matter. And while it's been a long, hard road to get here, every painful, tear-filled step has been worth it. And so I will keep singing, I will keep dancing, and I will keep rising. And I will be holding out my hand to all the other women in this world along the way...


I dance cause I love
Dance cause I dream
Dance cause I’ve had enough
Dance to stop the screams
Dance to break the rules
Dance to stop the pain
Dance to turn it upside down
Its time to break the chain, oh yeah
Break the Chain
Dance, rise
Dance, rise  
 
~One Billion Rising anthem, by Tena Clark 



1 comment:

  1. I love you, dear sister and I'm honored to hear you voice. May you never stop dancing, but may the chain forever be broken!
    Love and Sisterhood,
    Bobbi

    ReplyDelete